Saturday 2 October 2010

Books, Thrillers and Murders

In the last two weeks I have gone through some books which are kind of Chick Lits. No, the books were more than chick lits - the authors classify them as thrillers - I would say they are chick lit murders.

I am a very safe reader. For my daily dose of reading, I tend to stick to Georgette Heyer, Judith Mc Naught or Jo Beverly for romance, Robin Cook, Archer, Grisham, Dan Brown for thrillers with a PG Wodehouse, Christie or Enid Blyton thrown in. I tried my hand a Dean Koontz and Stephen King - but while some of Koontz's books worked for me - I gave up Stephen King after one book. And I have given up Paulo Coelho after Alchemist - which I found incredibly silly. I know I might get lynched for saying this. In my defense, I intend to take up Coelho again - because everyone seems to love it - and I cant see why I shouldn't, if I pick up the right book!


Back to my chick lit murders - the first one I read was "A Rose From the Dead" by Kate Collins. It is part of a series called The Flower Shop Mysteries and you cant help liking the impulsive and irrepressible Abby Knight.

See the book here at Amazon.com

A Rose From the Dead

The next one was called Armed and Glamorous . The series by Ellen Byerrum is billed as Crime of Fashion Mysteries. The characters are funky, over the top and GLAMOROUS led by Lacey Smithsonian. Lacey writes on fashion and loves to dress in the 30s style gone modern. Her friends are Stella a hair stylist and Brooke an amazingly organized lawyer. One of Byerrum's book, "Killer Hair" has also been filmed. Take a look at Armed and Glamorous here at Amazon.com



Another thriller of the same genre called the "Code Busting Series" goes by the name of The Givenchy Code (sounds like Da Vinci Code or what?). The protagonist is the nerdy, brilliant, cipher and clue solver Melanie Prescott. In the book, Melanie lives a nightmare where her life depends on deciphering a cipher. Exciting? You bet! There are a few murders thrown in too. Melanie lives for Mathematics and shoes - haute couture shoes like say Givenchy! The book is by Julie Kenner.

The Givenchy Code

Unfortunately  there are two other exciting books I read a few days back whose names escape me. I generally pick up a book, read it and forget the name and the author - unless they are really well known. I remember the names of the above books because I made a point of noting them down before returning them to the library.

Can't wait to get my hands on more books of this kind!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Belfast Blog - Day 2

From the archives from sometime in August 2014 from a solo trip to UK. Coming across these scraps from my files! Day 2 Day 2 in Belfast st...