Friday 22 January 2021

Climbing Ben Nevis

 The morning of my third day at Fort William, I started for Ben Nevis. Ben Nevis is the highest peak in the British Isles and a favourite with trek lovers. It is a one day trek and one can easily reach the top if one plans accordingly. The walk from the B & B to the mountains was a distance of 3 kms. Not being an early waker, I reached the spot around 10 am. The beautiful walk had a curling field on the way. Curling was a popular old sport in the highlands which combined the raw strength of the Highlanders with strategy and skills. One has to slide huge round stones from one end of the play area to the other to reach its destination. It is called curling as the stones take a curvilinear path to reach the circle at the other end!

Curling Field, Ben Nevis

Reaching the foothills of the Nevis opened up a sight of a series of hills so breathtaking in beauty as only something so far up on the hemisphere can have. A stream bubbled along the foothills (River Nevis actually) and one had to cross it on a quaint wooden bridge. Then one had to climb up the stiles which lead to a paddocked field with sheep. Someone from the hot dusty tropical climate of coastal India could entirely appreciate the atmosphere of the place, and I was caught many a times just standing around and gazing. The climb was along a series of steps cut into the hills, and was quite unlike another climb I had done the previous year at Mt. Kinabalu. Unlike Mt Kinabalu, it was a raw climb, not too touristy, no porters or sitouts, or rope guides along the way. Even guide rails were missing at most places. 






I came across quite a number of interesting people along the way. An elderly Indian gentleman, who stayed in the vicinity, on his way down was surprised to see a solo lady climber from India. There was an adventurous young Chinese girl who was travelling on her own in Scotland by public transport. She had come straight from China (she was not a student in UK, I mean). Then an Australian lady who had camped in her car overnight at the Ben Nevis foothills, to get an early start on the climb. I love those Australian women. I feel they can do anything. I met a few of them on my journey in North UK. They have this unbounded energy and confidence. This particular lady was kind enough to give me a lift back to the B & B. She was interested that I was an Indian. She was going to start a new career in Chakra Healing. The Scotland trip was the beginning of a new start for her, having just left behind her old life which included her job and husband. 


"The path to the top is strewn with boulders" - Did anyone say that? Thats the truth anyways. The path was cut into the mountains. There were little bridges over gorges and planks over streams, The footpath was there in name only at many places along the route. The mountain goats were there in their lairs. Babbling brooks followed one on the trail (or the other way round, since I was climbing!)

I made it to a small loch nestled amongst the Ben Nevis, a bit after the halfway mark. It was called the Halfway Loch or more correctly the Loch Meall an t-Suidhe. The path to the top is on the right of the Loch.  I realised I didnt have time to make it to the top, having got a train to catch to my next destination, Glasgow (having dropped off my rental car the previous day at Inverness). So I climbed down to the Loch and dipped my feet in its pristine water, for some chilly meditation!!!

The range of mountains around the Glen Nevis make a stunning panorama. Carn Mor Dearg, Aonach Mor, Aonach Beag are the neighbours to the Nevis. Now try saying those names the Gaellic way as you prepare to climb the range!

The Halfway Lochan, Ben Nevis


Climbing Tips - Even though I went at the fag end of the British summer, the weather was chilly enough to layer up. I chanced upon a rare phase of Scottish sunshine and only had one day of drizzle in my Highlands stay.

Boots or shoes with grip are necessary as the route to the top is filled with rubbles and has a steady gradient. 

Walking stick is a must for any climb in my opinion as it makes everything so easy

Guides or being with a group would be good as they can point out the various features. However I tend to fall behind in groups as I satisfy my curiosity, so I avoid them. 

The biggest tip is - If you enjoy trekking, you are bound to enjoy this. Relax, wear some good shoes and have a nice journey!

I had this trip way back in September 2014. Just came across my notes and blog on paper,  dug some old pics and so here it is!

"Footpath" on Ben Nevis


The babbling brooks along the way


Across a wooden bridge


Panorama of hills

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment Jena. Appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration, gorgeousđź’– Many love to be at the top of a mountain but it's not that easy to make the climb. The feeling of freedom and that anything is possible is so addictive!! Loved reading your post. It transported me back to the beautiful Scottish highlands and Inverness.. Keep posting more of your adventures and trips.. Lotsa love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iris

      I remember taking your tips and your recommending Haggis and pork belly as local dishes to try. Somehow couldn't bring myself to be that adventurous! Thanks for commenting and much more

      Delete
  3. 2014trip! Was wondering initially how you are there. Beautiful description!! Memories definitely for keeps

    ReplyDelete
  4. vow Sangha , super pics n apt discription .Time for our gang to catch up ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Absolutely!

      Delete
    2. Would love to catch up... err..Would u dm me pls so I know which gang it is! :)

      Delete
  5. Interesting travel diary, Sanghamitra! 7 years later also, your memory seems so fresh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Actually I had written it down on pen and paper. Discovered the notes recently!

      Delete
  6. Interesting travel diary, Sanghamitra! 7 years later also, your memory seems so fresh

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are one of those unstoppable bubbling brooks finding your way out through the rocks and boulders to follow your passion. Enjoyed your narration of the trek.

    Bharati Mohapatra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much Bharti di... Love this description ;) glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderfully described.very informative.

    ReplyDelete

Belfast Blog - Day 2

From the archives from sometime in August 2014 from a solo trip to UK. Coming across these scraps from my files! Day 2 Day 2 in Belfast st...