Friday 14 January 2011

Ten Malaysian Phrases

It has been almost 3 years since have stayed in Malaysia. However it is just amazing that I havent had to use the language enough to need to learn. A lot of it has to do with the place where I am staying. Little India in Malaysia. With more than a hundred Indian families in my Condo - Hindi is the official language! And one doesnt need the language to shop at Super Markets.

It is amazing how insular one can stay to a culture while residing right in the middle of the culture! I have decided to start a small effort to know the language now. Unfortunately the primary motive to know the language now is - I have employed an Indonesian part-time maid. And she understands very little english.

So here are my Ten Malaysian (Bahasa Malaysian or Bahasa Melayu) phrases for today culled from the internet.

Selamat Datang - Welcome
Selamat Malam - Good Night
Selamat Tinggil - a Good Bye wish - when one wishes the other person a "safe stay"
Terima Kasih - Thank You
Apa Kabar? - What is the news?
Selamat Pagi - Good Morning
Tidak - No
Mumkin - Maybe
Nama Kau Apa? - What is Your name?
Apa Ini? - What is this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Belfast Blog - Day 2

From the archives from sometime in August 2014 from a solo trip to UK. Coming across these scraps from my files! Day 2 Day 2 in Belfast st...